2002 | 2001 | 2000 | 1999 | links
FRANKLIN FURNACE OPEN CALL TO ALL ARTISTS DEADLINE: April 1st
THE FRANKLIN FURNACE FUND FOR PERFORMANCE ART 2002-03
Supported by Jerome Foundation and the New York State Council on the Arts, Franklin Furnace awards grants between $2,000 and $5,000 to performance artists, allowing them to produce major works anywhere in the State of New York. Artists from all areas of the world are invited to apply.
THE FUTURE OF THE
Franklin Furnace offers artists an honorarium (this year of $5,000) and a residency facilitated by Franklin Furnace, for a 2-4 month duration at a physical or online venue appropriate to your proposed work. For THE FUTURE OF THE PRESENT 2003, we hope to continue to expand the technology available to our artists through Parsons and beyond. The residencies may take place in the Spring or Fall of 2003. Artists who are interested in developing new artwork for the Internet are encouraged to apply.
See below for details on HOW TO APPLY.
Franklin Furnace has no curator; each year a new panel of artists reviews all proposals. We believe that this peer panel system allows all kinds of artists from all over the world an equal shot at presenting their work. All applicants are automatically considered for both categories of awards. Every year the panel changes, as the definition of "emerging artist," the notion of "live art on the Internet," and the definition of "performance art" itself changes, so if at first you don't succeed, try again.
Since its inception in 1985 THE FRANKLIN FURNACE FUND FOR PERFORMANCE ART has boosted the careers of such emerging artists as Papo Colo, Karen Finley, John Fleck, Holly Hughes, Cathy Weis, Pamela Sneed, Murray Hill, Tanya Barfield and Patty Chang.
This year's esteemed selection panel consisted of artists and curators Patty Chang, Garland Farwell, Zhang Ga, Carmin Karasic, Christiane Paul and Mark Tribe. This year's Fundwinners are Tish Benson, Christine Carson, George Ferrandi, Stanya Kahn, Cary Peppermint and Tadej Pogacar. THE FUTURE OF THE PRESENT 2002 artists are Kathleen Brandt and Brian Lonsway, Jeff Gompertz, and G.H. Hovagimyan. The full schedule and project descriptions are available on our website).
HOW TO APPLY
1. Write a 50-word summary of your proposed work. Make your summary as clear and complete as possible. You may also send a more detailed description of your proposed work.
2. All proposals to THE FRANKLIN FURNACE FUND FOR PERFORMANCE ART must have a ½ inch videotape (VHS - NTSC American format only), cued for five minutes, of your proposed work or past work. You may also include other visual support materials.
To apply to THE FUTURE OF THE PRESENT series you may send a ½ inch videotape, audio cassette, slides, photos, CD-ROMS, Jaz, Zip, floppy disks or URL (either MAC or PC format). If you do not specify which fund you are applying for, you will automatically be evaluated for both funds.
3. You MUST include a self-addressed, stamped envelope for return of materials, or indicate that you will pick up your packet at our office.
4. Contact Info: Name, Mailing Address, Phone number/Fax number, Email/WWW.
5. You may include a budget (i.e. space rental, equipment, tech personnel). If you have other funding sources for your project please indicate this in your budget.
6. You may also submit your resume, reviews of previous work, and any other support materials.
Send it to:
Franklin Furnace Archive, Inc.
45 John Street, Room #611
New York, NY 10038-3706
us: firstname.lastname@example.org http://www.franklinfurnace.org
or call us at 212.766.2606 or fax at 212.766.2740